Sunday, January 22, 2012

Den Makeover

Our Den - a sitting place for the kids while my husband and I use the living room.

So I had this one room that I REALLY needed to redo, it was BAD.   It was also the room off the kitchen that everyone can see when first walking into the house.  It needed the most work so I kept putting it off.  My husband and I decided that we would do it during my October 2010 vacation.  Well, I changed my plans and decided to visit my sister in Florida so once again I thought I would have to redo the room another time.

Surprise to me I came home from my trip to my room almost all done!  My husband had recruited his friends and provided the pizza and beer for all!  He is sooooo sweet!

This is the room before.....the carpet was stained....it had a drop ceiling, and paneled walls, and no light to be found.  (it was hidden under the drop ceiling)  And that color...UCCCKKKK!!

when we moved in......

how we lived for many years.
This room opens up to our backyard deck and pool area.

This is what I came home to:



Paneling was gone, drop ceiling removed, new wallboard everywhere, carpet ripped up, and new ceiling fan with LIGHT!



I painted the walls a light sage green that was suggested to go with the new curtains I bought to replace the vertical blinds.  You can see how different the paint looks with the light on and off.





Sorry for the lighting...this was from my cell phone.  We also needed a new floor.  I wanted to do it ourselves so I chose this wood laminate floor. Since I was going to be into the project I decided to bring the flooring into my kitchen since I never liked the vinyl flooring. To be honest it may not be the smartest flooring since kids come in from the pool through here and the kitchen slider.  Oh well, I will have to think of something once Summer comes.


My husband and I went to a Holiday Ball/Auction for the Boys & Girls Club.  
We ended up winning the bid for the new furniture.  A couch, loveseat, and chair, two end tables, and coffee table.  ($750)  Found the prints at Mardens for $15 each.



Fell in love with the pillows because of the teal color in them.  It looks great with the brown.  Wanted some type of metal art for this wall that had teal in it.  I looked on ebay and online shops for quite some time without finding much for the amount I wanted to pay.  I ended up getting this one at TJMaxx for a clearance price of $15.  It didn't have any teal so I took some paint that I had at home and distressed it into the metal.  I think I need to get a brighter color to match the pillows though.


Basically the furniture is set the same as before, which I really don't like.  I have all the cables on that one wall so I feel like I am stuck having the TV and computer on the same wall.  It seems too heavy on that wall.  My husband likes the layout  since he watches TV while on the computer.  I would love if anyone has any suggestions.  We use this door to let the dogs out so I don't want to cover that wall.




I was trying that carpet out but decided it didn't go well so I moved it back to our living room.  I am still searching for the perfect carpet with the right colors.
I now feel this room fits with the rest of the house!




No comments:

Post a Comment