Sunday, January 22, 2012

New DIY counter-tops

Have you ever had white laminate counter-tops?  Did you hate them as much as I did?  Well I was told of a product that could make my laminate counter-tops look ten times better without replacing them.  After a couple of years of wishing, I was on Facebook and Lowes posted a status indicating that they would be selling the Modern Masters Counter-top Transformation Kit for 1/2 price for a limited time.  I followed their link and bought one right away.  It only cost me $150.
Here is my kitchen before:   June 2010


I then convinced my hubby to help me with the task as it is easiest when two people can work on it. 
1. Sand down the counter-tops with a special sandpaper sponge.  Fill in any dings or imperfections with putty and let dry before painting.
2. Tape off counter-top and paint with the special paint, do a small section at a time while the other person is applying the granite chips.


  It will be a little messy! We applied plastic to the front of all the counters for protection.


 My cute daughter wrote this!
4. After letting the granite chips stay on overnight, lightly brush off the remaining chips.  You should be left with a counter-top that looks great but is not smooth.  At this time you carefully inspect all of the surfaces to make sure it has been covered with chips. If not, lightly brush on more paint and add more chips.  Be careful to not put paint on too thick since you will be lightly sanding the surface to make it smooth.  

5.  After sanding the surface you will be applying the Epoxy clear coat with smooth surface paint roller and a paint brush for the edges.


Viola!  A much better looking counter-top that I don't have to bleach anymore!!!
Next project is the Faux Tile Backsplash!

No comments:

Post a Comment