Sunday, January 22, 2012

DIY Painted Faux Tile Backsplash

Okay, now for the Backsplash!

I decided to enter in a contest that the Modern Masters Counter-top Transformation company was having.  It basically wanted you to redo your kitchen with that product and be creative with your kitchen redo by using paint.  So instead of installing a backsplash, I wanted to paint it....to get more credit.  I really like travertine tile so I was trying to do something with light browns.  I think it came out too light, but I still like it.  Having done this project over 2 years ago I may forget some steps in explaining.

1.  Decide your grout color and paint the wall of your backsplash that color.  I chose a grey to compliment the new counter-tops.
2.  It took me awhile to decide the design.  I used a sample board and set it up against the counter to see what it looked like.  Here I was testing out a subway tile design.  I didn't like it.  I wanted to do something so I could have some accent tiles.  

3.  I knew I wanted an accent above the stove so that really determined the sizes of the tiles that I went with.  I got a template of the tile and started drawing on the way with a pencil.  I then started the LONG taping process.  



4.  I had to cut the tape out of the accent piece so I wouldn't have an X in spot.  The next step was to cover the wall with joint compound.  I just used a putty knife and went to town!


As you can see I am a messy worker.  Again, this contest was all about paint. I tried the grey and also a green.  Blah...green was not the color, in my opinion so I stuck with the grey that I used as the grout color.  



5.  If I remember correctly you do NOT wait until the joint compound is totally dry before removing the painter's tape.  If it is so moist you will pull some compound away from wall. If it is too dry you might not get tape off.  After all tape is off let it dry for a day and then RE-TAPE!  I know pain in the behind but I wanted it to be easier when painting.


6.  I used small acrylic paints that I had in different shades of tan and whites.  I painted the accent pieces in black.


7.  After all the painting was done, I used many coats of Venitian plaster topcoat.


8.  In addition to this backsplash and the counter-tops I also painted one of our cabinets with chalkboard paint.  

I replaced the big ceiling light with track lighting that I found at a yard sale for $15.  I painted the curtain rod black and changed all the cabinet knobs with ones I found at Mardens for .99 each.  Not all of them were black so I painted them all with Black Hammered Spray paint. 



I also changed two of my recessed lights into pendant lights by finding these two hanging pieces on ebay with no bulbs.  They came silver but I spray painted them black.   I found the globes at Home Depot.  


I was pretty bummed about not winning the contest but the winners definitely deserved to win.  They all made larger changes by actually painting their cabinets.  Believe me, I was tempted but really don't mind the white.  I have yet again made changes since this picture from 2009.  Added some Hardwood Laminate flooring in 2011.  But, that will be a new post!



No comments:

Post a Comment